Navarakkizhi, Kerala's unique contribution to Ayurveda, involves fomentation of the body with a bolus of cooked medicated rice, Shastika a particular kind of rice known for its nutritional value, in milk and an herbal decoction made of kurumthotti (Sida rhombi folia). Four boluses are of this cooked rice and tied up in linen bags.
The fomentation continues with the patient on his/her back on the droni. There is also another attendant who supplies new kizhis, which are kept ready in a decoction of warm milk. It is very important to keep the kizhis at a constant temperature. The treatment is over once fomentation has been carried out in all the seven standard positions.
After the specified duration of treatment, the paste is wiped off with the palm leaf scrapers and a suitable type of oil is applied all over the body before the bath.
- This is a treatment for Rheumatism, Joint pain.
- Paralysis and emaciation of limbs.
- Blood pressure, cholesteremia.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Softens the skin and enhances the complexion and give nutrition to body.
- Strengthens the nerves.