Varicose Veins Treatments
Varicose Vein Treatment with Ayurveda
Varicose veins are defined as dilated, tortuous and palpable superficial veins as a result of venous hypertension.
Common sites of varicosity are:
- Superficial venous system of the lower limb.
- Esophageal varix : affecting veins of the gastro – esophageal junction.
- Varicosity of the haemorrhoidal veins – piles
- Varicosity of the spermatic veins- varicocele
Valves in the veins.
- Valves are present in the superficial veins.
- It prevents flow of blood from proximal to distal and from deep to superficial veins.
- It is absent from above the groin level.
- Valves can resist pressure up to 300 mm of Hg .
Predisposing factors for varicosity of the lower limb
- Prolonged standing: during prolonged standing long columns of blood along with gravity puts pressure on the weakened valves of the veins. This causes failure of the valves quickly giving rise to varicosity.
- Obesity: excess fatty tissue in the subcutaneous tissue offer poor support to the veins .
- Old age: causes atrophy and weakness of the vein walls at the same time with aging the valves in the veins become gradually incompetent.
- Athletes: forcible contraction of the calf muscles may force blood through the perforating veins in reverse direction, this will cause destruction of the valves of the perforating veins and lead to varicosity.
- Tiredness and aching sensation in the effected lower limb , particularly in the calf muscles.
- Dragging pain in the leg.
- Night cramps.
- Sharp pain in the grossly dilated veins.
- Pain relieved at night on taking rest or elevating legs.
- Complications includes oedema, skin changes (pigmentation, itching , venous eczema) and ulceration.
Ayurveda explains varicose veins as siraja grandhi. The imbalance of doshas disturb the vessels and the blood of the particular area (venous blood) . Thus the blood is stagnated due to obstruction of the pathway of blood vessels. Hence the veins are dilated in their weak points and results in siraja grandhi .
Ayurvedic treatments like Dhara, abhyanga , swedana , upanaha along with internal medications plays an important role in balancing the doshas , normalizing the circulation and preventing the complications.
Life style modifications like avoiding long walks, continuous standing, lifting weights, doing moderate exercises, elevating legs while resting and intake of balanced diet can help prevent complications of varicose veins.