Plantar Fascitis is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole of the foot. The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. It supports the arch of the foot. It is the most common cause of heel pain and is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia or arch tendon of the foot. By the over-straining of the plantar fascia, it gets weak, swollen, and inflamed.
Symptoms of Plantar Fascitis:
- Pain when the patient takes their first steps after they get out of bed or sit for a long time. After few steps, the pain will get reduced and a dull type of pain persists.
- Pain aggravated while climbing steps, long walk, etc.
- Stiffness and sometimes numbness may occur.
- Slight inflammatory symptoms like swelling etc.
- Long walk and running.
- Barefoot walk.
- Improper footwear.
- Lack of rest etc.
Ayurveda describes this condition as vatakandaka, condition resulting due to kapha-vata vitiation. Ayurveda clearly mentioned this condition as a treatable disease. Vatakandaka is a very common disease especially in old age, as Vata rogas/diseases occur particularly in this time. But this disease is seen commonly in the middle ages also.
According to Ayurveda, this condition occurs due to Kapha dosha vitiation along with Vata dosha. Vitiated Kapha block or alter the normal path of the Vata vaha srothas/channels. As Vata has the main functions like movements, neurological and motor activities, the vitiated Vata causes burning sensation and pain.
This disease can be cured effectively by Ayurvedic treatments and can avoid injections, surgery, and other proceeding complications.
Kottakkal Ayurveda is a center for Ayurvedic massage, treatment, healing, herbal medicine, and lifestyle practices. Our team of dedicated Ayurveda practitioners, trained in the art of Ayurveda are here to support your transformation and wellbeing. Kottakkal Ayurvedic Treatment Centre is the premier provider of Ayurvedic services in Dubai (Deira, Satwa), Ajman and we’re excited to share these restorative techniques with you.
Some common causes of Vata dushti
- Excessive exercise.
- Barefoot walk.
- Excess use of hot and spicy food.
- Age (old age time of Vata vitiation)
- Lack of sleep
- Mental stress (leads to Vata kopa)
Some causes of Kapha dushti
- Lack of exercise.
- Excess use of sweet and oily food- leads to overweight.
- Diabetes (as one of the Kapha vikara/disease)
Ayurveda Treatments for vatakantaka:
First of all, while treating a disease according to Ayurveda is based on the concept that “NIDANA PARIVARJANAM CHIKITSA” that is avoiding the causes of diseases is the primary step in Ayurveda. We can opt for treatment like:
- Abhyanga ( herbal oil application)
- Swedanam with heated poultices with herbal leaves or herbal powder
- Some internal medicines, etc.
- Rakthamoksha(bloodletting), agnikarma, suchidaha.etc
- Proper rest
- Yoga- for mental health.