Eczema is a group of conditions that makes the skin inflamed or irritated. Most common type is atopic dermatitis or atopic eczema. The term “ the itch that rashes” is characteristic feature of eczema.
The skin rashes are very common in young children and adolescents. Eczema isn’t contagious. It looks different for everyone and the flare ups won’t always happen in the same area.
Symptoms of eczema
- Dry ,red and scaly skin are common to all types of eczema.
- Hives appear on the skin
- Fluid filled blisters that ooze and form crusts
- Later skin becomes thicker ,leathery and more wearisome.
The appearance of the skin affected by atopic dermatitis will depend on how much a person scratches and whether the skin is infected. Scratching and rubbing can further irritate the skin, increase inflammation and make the itching worse.
Triggering factors of eczema
- Very cold and very hot temperatures
- Allergens in the air like pollen ,dust or pets can make it worse
- Chemicals that irritate the skin like certain soaps , detergents and rough course fabrics can aggravate the condition.
- Excess sweating
- Stress induced hormonal changes.
- Certain food items like nuts , eggs , dairy can trigger eczema.
Tips to alleviate the symptoms of eczema
- Taking lukewarm baths
- Applying moisturizer after bath
- Wearing cotton and soft fabrics
- Using a humidifier in dry and cold weather.
- Learning and avoiding individual eczema triggers.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Eczema
As per Ayurveda eczema can be correlated with vicharchika. Kapha pitta hara chikitsa is recommended. Eczema is mainly treated with panchakarma therapies that includes treatments like snehana ( internal and external oleation ) swedana ( sudation) vamana (emesis) , virechana ( purgation).
Agni deepaka and ama pachana drugs are orally administered that augments and assists the process of digestion. Deepana pachana aushadhi’s improve the digestive capacity.
Snehapana (drinking medicated ghee) , Sarvanga Abhyanga (whole body oil massage) and Swedana (sweating)helps in the removal of toxins from the body.
Virechana (purgation) is the process in which the doshas collected in the excretory channels are expelled out through anal route.
Therapies like Thakra dhara , Kashaya dhara etc has cleansing as well as healing properties.
Eczema is a disease having it’s impact on body as well as on the mind . Through Ayurvedic line of management the immune system can be improved by removing the toxins, thus improving the quality of life.