Constipation is a common problem in today’s world mainly due to the present-day lifestyle. Constipation may manifest in different ways – not passing bowels even once a day or a sense of incomplete evacuation.
Constipation is a symptom, not a disease but it can be a forerunner of serious diseases. Timely treatment is very much essential. Constipation can be successfully managed through Ayurveda and simple modifications in diet and lifestyle.
Clearing bowels is a step towards good health. There is a feeling of being uncomfortable and routine work is hampered when the bowels of a person are not cleared. Though the disease of constipation has not been discussed separately in Ayurvedic texts, its occurrence as a symptom of various diseases and ways to tackle it have been described.
Constipation is mentioned in Ayurveda as Vibandha, meaning obstructing or binding of stool. Vibandha occurs when something is wrong somewhere in our food habits. Ayurvedic internal medicines along with changes in diet and lifestyle will help to relieve constipation.
Kottakkal Ayurveda is a center for Ayurvedic massage, treatment, healing, herbal medicine, and lifestyle practices. Our team of dedicated Ayurveda practitioners, trained in the art of Ayurveda are here to support your transformation and wellbeing. Kottakkal Ayurvedic Treatment Centre is the premier provider of Ayurvedic services in Dubai (Deira, Satwa), Ajman and we’re excited to share these restorative techniques with you.
Tips to relieve and prevent constipation
- One should increase water intake. Drink small sips of water, preferably warm water at frequent intervals.
- Take a fiber-rich diet. Diet should comprise mainly of freshly cooked vegetables, soups, and fresh fruits. All green leafy vegetables, carrot, radish, bottle gourd, cucumber are good choices. Fruits mainly all citrus fruits, papaya, apple, figs, pears, berries are beneficial.
- Intake of foods like frozen food, white bread, and snacks like chips, pizza, spicy and oily diet, excess cheese, fried food, and carbonated drinks should be avoided.
- Buttermilk & Yogurt are good for constipation. One can take them during the day but avoid them at night.
- Drink a cup of warm milk or warm water added with little ghee at bedtime.
- Soak 1 tbsp raisins in water overnight and eat it the next morning.
- Include sufficient ghee or oil in the diet. Regular exercise is a must. Walk few steps after every meal, especially after dinner.
- One should not suppress natural urges especially feces.
- Staying awake late at the night and rising late in the morning also affects bowel movement. Try to go to bed before midnight and wake up early.
An Ayurvedic expert can help you to identify your problems and suggest you medications and change in diet and lifestyle that keeps you healthy.