Stomach Pain or Abdominal Colic
Aggravation of wind (Vayu) in the abdomen causes pain. Other causes are flatulence, constipation, exposure to cold/damp, hernia, appendicitis, stone, etc whose presence confuses the matter but since symptoms are quite different in each case. If it is due to indigestion or constipation, it is easy to manage at home.
- Paste of Asafoetida (hing) may apply around the umbilicus.
- The powdered roasted seed of Bishop’s Weed (ajwain) one teaspoon (5gm.) may be taken with warm water.
- Sucking of fried Terminalia chebula (Harada) in Castor oil (Eranda tail) mixed with salt may be taken two times a day.
- Fried Asafoetida (Hing) in Ghee to be taken with Jaggary (guda), twice a day.
- Hingvashtak churna one teaspoon (5 gm.) with hot water.
- Lasunaadi Vati-2 tablets 3 times daily may also be tried.
Nothing should be given to eat or drink during an attack. But, when the crisis period is over, some light, a liquid diet may be advised. Avoid giving, heavy and fried foods, spices, etc. Encourage the patient to walk and do mild exercises. Drink warm water in intervals.
- When the pain is so severe, and the patient is restless with pain.
- Distension in abdomen and vomiting occurs.